Timpview students organize walkout in favor of school bond

As Timpview sinks, its students rise up for their safety. The Timpview High School Democrats club has planned a school walkout during 6th period November 1st in favor of the bond to rebuild Timpview, as well as several other public schools in Provo. Though flyers were passed out stating the walkout will take place at the school district office, due to legal reasons, it will instead be held on the school’s south field where the gun violence prevention walkout took place two school years ago.
    Magnolia Vega, the president of the Democrats club, expressed her concern for student safety in our current building. She intended the walkout to show that students care about this issue and want to know their school is safe in case of emergencies. As she puts it: “We don’t want to go to school in fear.”
    The bond will be voted on by referendum during the 2019 Provo district elections on November 5th. Students who will be 18 by the 5th are eligible to vote on this issue, and could have a large impact on whether or not it will pass.
    For more information, contact Christopher Robison, secretary of the Democrats club and planner of this event, at 801-830-9703, or refer to the Timpview News article on the bond.

View Comments (2)