Timpview's official news site

The Thunderbolt

Timpview's official news site

The Thunderbolt

Timpview's official news site

The Thunderbolt

Rise and Shout: Timpview Seniors Stress Out

As the class of 2018 prepares to graduate, many seniors have recently or will soon be receiving college acceptance letters. BYU-Provo is the university that a large majority of these students have set their hopes and dreams on, and as of March 3rd seniors know if they have a place among the ranks of BYU’s Freshman class of 2018-2019.

Stress, questions, and concerns surrounded Brigham Young University’s applicants this year. The application consisted of four recommendations, four essays, and two explanations of extracurricular activities you are involved in.

Not only was the application itself stressful, the waiting for the application decisions was just as nerve-wracking. Although applicants were told that they would receive their decision by March 2nd, but many did not receive theirs until the morning of March 3rd.

“I didn’t stay up all night, but I did have to try some relaxation stuff like meditating to get to sleep,” senior Elle Diether said.

A facebook post from BYU Admissions said, “We planned to announce admission decisions on March 2. Earlier this evening some technical difficulties arose. We’ve been working to fix them and we will continue to do so until the issues are resolved. This is disappointing for everyone and we are sorry for the frustration.”

Seniors who applied to BYU-Hawaii finally received their answer on March 18, waiting over two more weeks.

BYU admission officers and representatives are not allowed to give out information regarding new freshman statistics, such as average ACT and GPA, unless the university decides to release them.

BYU has not released the statistics for 2018 applicants, but the average ACT score for students applying in 2017 was 29.5, and the average GPA was 3.86 with a 53.4% acceptance rate.

Now that many seniors have their college acceptance letters, the question is how many of them will stick around Timpview for the rest of fourth term.