Market Day Review

This week during lunch Timpview High’s Entrepreneurship class hosted the semi-annual Market Day. This gives the students in the class the experience of creating a business, getting to interact with customers, and developing professional behaviors and problem-solving skills. As they learn these skills as young high school students they will be able to apply them towards their professional lives and be able to open up opportunities for their futures. 

As these students got to create their businesses, they were given the opportunity to make their own money through their products. When asked how much of their profit they got to keep, Junior, Leo Auernig replied: “They get to keep 100% of the profit they make.” Students were allowed to keep their money or donate a percentage of it towards charity work. And during this Christmas season, the yearly Sub For Santa is in action!  Senior Austin Trail said, “We plan on donating 10% of our profits to Sub for Santa.” With the number of students swarming the Market Day booths, this is a very generous donation that is teaching students how to make future choices with their money and how to help the world with it.

The significance of the Market Day is substantial to students’ futures. Walking through the crowded market day, smelling the freshly made quesadillas, seeing the students applying tattoos to their customers and friends, and hearing the friendships and acquaintances being made showed me the importance of this fun and exciting day. It brings students closer together and creates a new environment that is rarely seen. An environment of trust and togetherness. If given the chance to participate in Market Day next year, take the opportunity and create lasting life skills, new friends, and a chance to donate towards Sub for Santa. We can’t wait to see what Market Day brings us next semester and are excited to see the impact it has on your view of business!