Timpview Boy’s Soccer Suffers Another Setback

Photo Credit Nazareth Villa

Photo Credit Nazareth Villa

Niccolo Rosborough

Following a disappointing preseason the Timpview boys soccer team experienced yet another misfortune as they lost to reigning state champs Alta Hawks 3-2 at home on April 10.

The first foreboding omen was the height discrepancy between the two teams. The tallest player on Timpview would have been one of the shortest players on Alta.

The game started off quickly with Senior Asher Franks getting a good scoring opportunity from a short through ball in the third minute of the game stopped only by an incredible save by the keeper.

The Alta hawks then quickly utilized their height advantage in the sixth minute of the game. Scoring a header to the back post assisted by a long throw in.

After the goal Timpview settled back into their normal form passing the ball around the field beautifully, but seemed to struggle to connect the final pass to go to goal.

The game remained balanced as neither team created many chances on goal until Timpview equalized in the 36th minute following a beautiful through ball by Junior Drew Brown, “I was just focusing on clearing the ball and Brennon did a good job to be in the right place at the right time”

Besides being in the right spot senior Brennon Peterson finished the play excellently by chipping the ball over the keeper from a volley.

The Alta Hawks regained their lead from a corner kick by fouling senior Asher Franks by pushing him in the back causing him to lose position and letting the Hawks player redirect the ball into the net. The referee aloud the foul because of other alleged fouls on the play.

The half ended with Alta still up 2-1 with both teams knowing the game was far from over.

When the game resumed it returned to back and forth play with neither team gaining any advantage. Until disaster struck on the Thunderbirds defense.

A miscommunication between the center back allowed the ball to bounce and from a clear. Realizing the mistake one center back stepped late but was unable to win the ball and further miscommunication and poor positioning by the remaining defenders allowed Alta to slot a ball into the box for an unmarked forward who rocketed it into the goal to make the score 3-1 in the 64th minute.

In desperation Timpview shifted to a three on the back pushing more players up and adding pressure onto the Hawk’s.

Hope became rekindled as Asher Franks bent a free kick from 24 yards out into the bottom corner where it hit the post and went in. Making the score 3-2 with 18 minutes left.

Timpview kept up the pressure and created several more chances, but the Alta defense remained robust and was able to block Timpview’s offensive plays until the whistle blew and Alta emerged victorious.

On a positive note after the game the Alta coach acknowledged Timpview’s potential saying, “If you can put it together you’ll have one of best teams in state.”