Timpview's official news site

The Thunderbolt

Timpview's official news site

The Thunderbolt

Timpview's official news site

The Thunderbolt

Students Across the Nation Prepare for School Walkouts

On February 21st students across Florida walked out of class in a rally they called Never Again. This protest was a response to the shooting exactly one week before that left 17 Florida students dead.

Other students across the nation are preparing for their own marches and walkouts as well. In particular, the students of Marjory Stoneman Douglas high school (MSDS) of Parkland, Florida, where the shooting occurred, are planning a “March for Our Lives” on March 24th, where they will descend on the capitol in Washington DC in hopes to have their voices heard. One student at MSDS said on Twitter that they, “are resilient, educated, and making sure this never happens again… it’s us… who will make schools safe again.” Groups from the school have already met with Florida lawmakers and other schools in the area in effort to make a change.

There are also sister marches to the “March for Our Lives” happening across the country in solidarity. Students in Utah will march to the capitol in Salt Lake City on March 24th from 9AM to 5PM. According to the event’s Facebook page the march, “is proposed to begin at The University of Utah’s President Circle and march up to the Utah State Capitol where remarks will be read supporting the March for our Lives initiative.” A comprehensive list of all marches is being put together on the verified “March for Our Lives” Facebook page.

The Women’s March Youth organization has received criticism in planning a march of their own, with some saying it distracts from what the MSDS students are doing. The Women’s March event will happen on March 14th at 10 AM for 17 minutes in honor of the 17 victims of the Parkland shooting. As well National School Walkout will hold a walkout on April 20th, the 19th anniversary of the Columbine shooting. In addition they are asking students to walk out of class at 10 AM and sit outside in peaceful protest.

More information about movements can be found on social media sites under the hashtags, #EnoughIsEnough, #NeverAgain, #MarchforOurLives, and                                           #ParklandStudentsSpeak. It also should be noted that the presence of so-called “trolls”, who intend to  spread false information, is very prevelant on social media networks.