Timpview's official news site

The Thunderbolt

Timpview's official news site

The Thunderbolt

Timpview's official news site

The Thunderbolt

Change on the Lacrosse Team

What impact can seniors provide on teams? With the upcoming 2023 season, Timpview’s Girls Lacrosse Team is noticing a drop in many players. With over 12 seniors and a new head coach, it’s easy to say there will be some challenges the team will have to overcome. 

With 12+ seniors and a not-easy path in front of the team, it begs the question, what will the amount of seniors do to affect the team’s environment?

Not only may they have struggle this season, but the years to follow as well. Building up a new team, and finding the underclassman’s strengths, all while dealing with an upcoming region change. Will our seniors struggle with “Senioritis”? What will the rebuilding process look like? What impact will the seniors leave behind after they’re gone?

Changing the environment after a number of senior athletes graduate will be a challenging task. 

One senior player said she believes it will “be a struggle to get the team to where it was before…there are quite a lot of younger girls who don’t take the sport seriously”.

Many factors could contribute to a decrease in interest. Including, but not limited to, the numbers, as well “as the enthusiasm for the sport.” It will be a time for “rebuilding” and “getting better,” once the seniors of 2023 are gone.

Upperclassmen can be considered role models to younger players. They are often more experienced and have gone through more challenges, either in school, jobs, sports, and even just life in general. Although they may only be 2-3 years older, those years are one of the more crucial stages of life, as they enter the stage of adulthood.

Students in their final year of high school or college, often face “senioritis” which is characterized by a decline in motivation or performance. Will our students undergo this, in school, and maybe even in sports?

Mollie Blum, a senior on the Timpview girls’ lacrosse team mentioned that “it definitely hurts energy in school, but [she is still] excited for the season.”

Another one of her teammates, Meg Barker, shared with me that “some people [can] definitely feel burnt out…[She] hopes it will be fun and exciting because it is [her] Senior season of lacrosse”. Senioritis being a decrease in motivation, is crucial to try to avoid because without motivation, could lead to a downfall in energy, and team effort.

Next season, with a new coach, and little to no returning players it might be hard to reach the full potential of what our team could be. Not only are we seeing a decline in players, but we also witnessed a decrease in coaches’ involvement. In the past 3 years, there have been not 1, not 2, but 3 head coaches. Is there a reason behind this?  “It is always challenging to adjust to a new coach…sometimes it is frustrating [but it] can get better.” Will the potential of another new coach change/affect current players? Not having a good bond with your coach can lead to a lack of self-confidence, a decline in performance, and a loss in love for the sport. Will the players connect with our their new head coach, and will they stick around?

In the end, the T-Birds are excited about the season.  There will certainly be challenges along the way, but as a team with secure bonds, and friendships, you can be sure they will bring their best. Games start in March, come out and cheer on your fellow T-Birds this upcoming season.

View Comments (2)