Sophomore XC Standout Jane Hedengren Wins State

Timpview XC Teams Have Strong Showing at State

Timpview sophomore standout Jane Hedengren is a state champion for the first time. Hedengren won the 2023 Utah cross country state championship with a time of 17:25.4 beating out Mountain View senior Mari Konold who had a time of 17:37.6. This was a comeback year for Hedengren, who last year fell just short of first place taking second.

Hedengren said, “With a mile left I got a little worried but mostly was just happy.”

The Timpview girls took 6th place with two athletes in the top ten. Along with Jane Hedengren, sophomore Daphne Iosua placed 7th.

The boy’s team took 15th.

Senior and captain Nathan Pace said, “I finished on empty, It’s just that I didn’t have enough in the tank to start with.”

The team is hoping to have good races at NXR on November nineteenth. The boys are hoping for some redemption from the state and the girls are wanting to keep the momentum going and have some great races. Hedengren is going to be looking for a quality finish in order to qualify for nationals on December 3rd.

Coach Jaimie Ribera said, “I think Jane has a chance to win nationals.”

A win would be huge for Hedengren who is only a sophomore and would likely mean more wins down the road. Hedengen had some injury problems earlier in the season and missed a couple of races. After the state race, it seems like this injury is no longer affecting her.

Looking back at the season the cross country team is happy with the results. For Hedengren, the hope is the next race is not her last of the season, and that she will be able to go to qualify and compete at nationals.

View Comments (2)