Timpview Theatre’s Our Town

Our Town, a classic play written by Thorton Wilder, opens in one week! Our Town is a simple story that explores life in a smaller town, Grover’s Corners. The play follows 2 families, the Webbs, and the Gibbs. This story is narrated and told in the role of Stage Manager, played by Cannon Hadfield. The show holds 3 acts. Act 1 documents the everyday life in Grover’s Corners, from eating breakfast to snapping peas, Act 1 helps us capture the simpleness of life. Act 2 examines going through life 2 by 2. It walks us through a love story, and the marriage of Emily Webb (Eva Deans), and George Gibbs (Zach Karpowitz). After daily life and marriage, it’s clear to see what Act 3 might be about. Act 3 walks us through death and mourning. It helps us understand to appreciate the simple things in life. 

Our Town, though a simple play, has exciting, unique, and creative elements that pull it apart from other shows you are probably more used to. Some unfamiliar aspects of the show include a simple set, and no fancy background, or scenery, which helps the show be more sentimental. Along with no set, Our Town also uses the creative art of pantomime. Pantomime is the use of conveying a story with body or facial movements. To simplify, we use no props, but instead, do the motions of the prop, without using the props. To help the audience understand our pantomime props, the cast, when off stage will be using folly to add value to our pantomime. Folly in simple words is sound effects. Without mics and background sound, the cast is bringing folly to add creative elements to their show. Along with set, and props, the seating for the audience is also different compared to previous shows at Timpview. For the duration of Our Town the audience will be sitting on stage, just a few feet away from the actors, because of this unique seating there will be limited seats each night. This can bring the audience closer, allowing the audience to connect to the show. 

Our cast of 20 has worked countless hours on this show and would love to see you there. The show runs from Jan. 31st to Feb. 5th a 7 pm, with a special matinee on Feb. 3rd at 2 pm. Tickets for students are only $3 and can be purchased at https://gofan.co/app/school/UT7314?activity=Performing%20Arts . We’d love to see you there!