Will Madsen takes the stage as lead in Timpview’s fall production

Will Madsen, a Timpview Sophomore, has just been cast as Quasimodo in our upcoming production of The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Although Madsen grew up with a lot of sports and physical activity, he’s always loved singing. He was shy about his talent until his brothers convinced him to audition for choir at Centennial Middle School. It sparked a love of performance and singing, and very quickly he passed other students in skill and began winning competitions. This foray into Performing arts inspired him to audition for Centennial’s production of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, for which he was cast as lead. “I had so much fun. I loved every second of it. So many people came to see me and it felt amazing.” 

His love for theater followed him into high school. As soon as Les Miserables was announced as the musical his Freshman year, he immediately began listening to and practicing the songs he needed to learn for auditions. Three months later, he auditioned and was disappointed when his name was not included on the callback list. Although he was still cast as ensemble, he didn’t get the part he initially wanted. Even with this disappointment, Madsen made the experience worthwhile. He made many new connections and added to the show, but perhaps more importantly he now understood the difficulty and competition present in high school theater. Instead of discouraging him, this only drove him even more.

Once Freshman year was over for Madsen, he auditioned for the show “Hunchback of Notre Dame” not expecting anything in return. On the day the callback list was posted, he saw his name under multiple characters, one being the lead. This was shocking for Madsen. As the realness of the situation sunk in, he began to work the hardest he had ever worked. Reading through lines, practicing the songs over and over and over again, and getting help from other peers. On the day of the audition, Madsen went in and gave it his all. As a sophomore, he didn’t expect a role until his senior year and stated “I felt like I was trapped behind a wall of talent” but this did not stop him from giving it his all. On the day the cast list was posted, Madsen looked and saw his name under “Quasimodo”. This, at first, did not register in his brain. He scanned through the cast list expecting it to be a glitch, and found his name under another, but there was nothing there. His name was under the lead’s name. He had done it. Joy filled his heart and he became so excited to be doing this role. He realized that “He could do this” and that his dreams of being on Broadway were not so unrealistic. 

As Madsen put it, “I felt like I was trapped behind a wall of talent.” He noted that he didn’t really expect a lead role until his senior year. Despite this, he worked hard and auditioned for The Hunchback of Notre Dame. His hopes weren’t very high, but when callbacks were posted he was shocked to see his name under multiple roles, including the lead Quasimodo. He worked the hardest he ever had for the callback that week. Conscripting some help from his peers, he practiced lines and practiced songs over and over. When the cast list was released, he was so taken aback to see his name under Quasimodo that he had to verify it wasn’t a mistake. Although nervous, he realized that “[he] could do this.”

He’s been working hard in rehearsal and has been getting along very well with his fellow actors. “He has been a pleasure to work with,” said one student who wishes to remain anonymous. Madsen stated his philosophy when communicating with his peers is to “be friends with everyone. Be nice to everyone. You never know what someone is going through.”

The Hunchback of Notre Dame takes the stage in November, where you can come see Madsen’s raw talent in action. He can’t wait to perform this character for everyone and encourages people to come see it. More information will be provided on how to get tickets when they’re available. Stay tuned for more news on this production!