Timpview's official news site

The Thunderbolt

Timpview's official news site

The Thunderbolt

Timpview's official news site

The Thunderbolt

Timpview Boy’s Basketball Season Preview

Timpview boy’s basketball is kicking off their season today after big changes the previous two years. Timpview’s boy’s basketball program was completely gutted, and spent last year finding their groove under a brand new coaching staffs and adding many new young players.

This year’s squads are shaping up to be quite good. 

“I think we’re going to be a real contender to win a state championship. Our coaching staff is settled in, and we have a really good group of guys that are hungry to get after it,” Said Payton Dastrup, boy’s assistant coach.

Last year, the basketball program had a decent season. However, the years before, Timpview’s basketball team made it through the first few rounds of state. Students, Coaches, and players are all confident this year’s varsity team will have that same success. 

Each year all the teams in the state lose a lot of seniors. Although Timpview lost almost all of their starting line up, there are a few new players that we are all extremely excited about. Dean Rueckert is a freshman this year who will be starting on the varsity team. He already has a division one offer. 

“Freshman Dean Rueckert is also going to turn some heads with his skill and athleticism,” Dastrup stated during his interview,  “not only do we have freshmen coming, but we have some talented transfers.

Dastrup expressed his excitement with two athletes who have transferred to play basketball. There will also be some returning players from last year who play a big part in the team’s success. “Our senior leadership is great. James Rust is our leading returner, along with Eli St. Clair, and transfer players Taki Uluilakepa and Zuriel Marquez.”

These players are a great example of the caliber of athlete that timpview has year after year.

The returning starter with the most experience, James Rust said, “We have a lot to work on but we are ready to work. Even with all those things we need to fix we went 4-0 in one of the biggest tournaments in the state and played really well together. I think we put ourselves in a good place to start the season. We’ve prepared and players as much as we could.”

It seems like we have a pretty good season coming up. With great coaching, players, fans, and teamwork, Timpview Basketball is really looking to have some good games. 

“We have the coaches to push us and we love each other which is special,” Rust expressed.

That friendship and chemistry alone will set us apart from the other teams in the state. Get excited to go cheered on the T-Birds this winter!