Bring Back One Lunch

Many students have run into the dilemma of making plans at the beginning of a new semester  to eat lunch with some of your friends just to find out that they have a different lunch (10:31 should be called breakfast) than you. It is very aggravating to not have your friend group in the same lunch as you, but administration says that this is necessary during construction due to limited space in the cafeteria, meaning if there were to be one lunch it would be extremely chaotic and be difficult to sit down comfortably and have the room to eat.

During COVID, this may have been true. During covid Timpview gave out lunches for free and restaurants were mostly either closed or had limited seating and traffic due to the coronavirus. Due to this many students opted to stay in the cafeteria and get free lunch, meaning more people during lunch, creating long lines and shortages of seats. However, as many of us have noticed restaurants are now widely available, lunch isn’t free, and most Juniors and Seniors don’t stay on campus during lunch.

With many of the Freshmen and Sophomores walking to Days during lunch this leaves fewer and fewer people in the lunchroom to crowd it and create chaos. So why do we still have 2 lunches? Short answer I don’t know. It doesn’t make sense, if you look at the picture above you can see how “crowded” it actually is. There are many tables with no one sitting at them and those that do have people have 1 or 2 people at them. It’s not busy or crowded so the only logical explanation for 2 lunches doesn’t make sense; it’s outdated and wrong.

Not only is it annoying for the students, but also it has a hard toll on the staff as well. Trackers have to stand around in the hallways turning people away from the floors that have class for both lunches. Meanwhile, the lunch ladies have to prepare for a second lunch and clean up in the small time that is in between them. Not only that but also the teachers have to deal with bells in the middle of class disrupting their lesson. I can see why we had this a few years ago, but it no longer makes sense. The cons outbalance the pros by a ton, that is if there are any pros. I can’t think of a single reason to have the 2 lunches today. It’s a nuisance for everyone involved and for what? I’m just saying that times change and maybe we could reevaluate the 2 lunches and hopefully change it for next year.