Student Highlight: Chase Palmer

Chase Palmer is a Junior at Timpview. He grew up in California but he moved to Utah in 7th grade. As a student, he feels committed to Timpview and has a love for basketball.

Most people relate Palmer’s name to basketball because he played through the beginning of his sophomore year before being forced to step away due to an injury.

Throughout the year, he’s participated in various athletic activities. In March of 2023, he started to play basketball again with a club throughout the spring and summer seasons. In mid-July, however, he was again forced to step away from playing. 

Even though he couldn’t play, Palmer still wanted to be a part of Timpview basketball. After some discussions with the coaches and former teammates, he concluded that he wanted to be a student coach.

A student coach is a coach who is a student so, Palmer, a junior in high school is going to help coach the Timpview basketball team.

As a student coach, he helps coach our team as a Junior. “I’m learning… from an experienced coach so that I can become a better coach and learn early,” Palmer says. It’s required him to shift his focus from being a player to looking at things that could be improved and tweaked. Now, he focuses on aspects he never would’ve noticed as a player.

“[A] great thing as a student coach is that, since I’m around the same age as these freshmen, I can relate to them more than the other coaches, and connect with them, and be more of a friend working individually with players.” This season Palmer wants to focus on individually helping players with skills like shooting, dribbling, and conditioning. Because of their closer connection, he can personally push players as a friend and peer while the other coaches work to build a well-connected team.

Palmer is also coaching the 5th-grade “Timpview Blueprints” basketball youth team and the Freshman crew. He will be the head coach for the youth team and an assistant for the freshman team soon. He is excited for a good season and so are we. Good luck!