Mara Welch – Senior Solo

Mara Welch, a senior here at Timpview High School, has brought a light musically, socially, and physically to our school. Welch first attended Timpview during her junior year and moved from St. Louis. Welch plays for our XC and Track program, takes various AP classes, plans on attending a college in California and contributes to the student body as a talented violin player. 

Welch takes a large amount of pride in playing the violin. She describes playing as relaxing and finds joy in it. Welch has played violin for thirteen years and plays for our Chamber Orchestra where she was selected to play a senior solo in their recent concert. Welch decided to pick a concerto piece last December for her senior solo. She expressed she spent the rest of the school year practicing in hopes she was selected. “The concerto required me to practice in different ways focusing on slow work in certain parts and musicality work in other parts.” This was just one part of Welch’s journey to prepare for this performance. 

Although Welch perfected this performance, there were struggles along the way, such as only having a limited time practicing with the orchestra, figuring out the balance between her and the orchestra playing, and performing across the stage. With many days filled with rehearsals and solo practicing, Welch exceeded the crowd’s expectations with an impressive performance. Welch hopes people who came and watched the performance not only enjoyed it but most importantly, had a good time.